Episodes: 2.18 Hollywood Babylon, 4.15 Death Takes a Holiday, 4.16 On the Head of a Pin, 5.01 Sympathy For the Devil, 5.02 Good God, Y'All!, 5.03 Free to Be You and Me, 5.10 Abandon All Hope, 5.13 The Song Remains the Same, 5.14 My Bloody Valentine, 5.16 Dark Side of the Moon, 5.17 99 Problems, 5.18 Point of No Return, 5.22 Swan Song
Enochian is a name often applied to an occult or angelic language recorded in the private journals of Dr John Dee and his seer Edward Kelley in the late 16th century. The men claimed that it was revealed to them by angels, while some contemporary scholars of magic consider it a constructed language.
– Pad of Definitions (2.18 Hollywood Babylon), Official Website
The term is derived from the Biblical Patriarch, Enoch or Henoch. Enoch was, according to Hebrew folklore, the most righteous man of his time. Two angels appeared to him one day, claiming to have fathered children with mortal women. They asked Enoch to speak to God on their behalf. In order to speak to God, the angels took Enoch up into Heaven, where he took down secrets of the universe and how angels used their magic and transcendent powers. God, unconvinced of the renegade angels' sincerity and remorse, sent a flood to destroy the angel halfbreeds and banished the angels from Heaven. Enoch was returned to earth with his new found knowledge of magic and the summoning of angels and spirits. At the age of 365, Enoch was visited by God and transfigured into God's most powerful and fiery angel, the High Seraph Metatron, and taken into Heaven to serve as God's chief angel.
- 4.15 Death Takes A Holiday - Alistair is trying to break one of the The 66 Seals by killing two reapers under a solstice moon. He holds the reapers in a funeral home covered in Angel - Proofing. They don't so much as bannish Angels as they bar them from entering.
- 4.16 On The Head Of A Pin - Castiel and Uriel have bound Alistair to a Devil's trap which is described as being old Enochian.
- 5.01 Sympathy For The Devil - Castiel burns Enochian Sigils into Sam and Dean's ribs. He tells them they will hide the boys from all angels - including Castiel and Lucifer.
- 5.02 Good God Y'All, while visiting Bobby in hospital, Dean has an x-ray which reveals the sigils on his ribs,
- Partial translation of the sigils by bloggingchick
- In 5.13 The Song Remains The Same, the Winchester's still have the Enochian symbols burned into their ribs, these angelic symbols hide them from every angel in creation, with Michael included. This forced Michael to use a Anna as a guide, Michael having strong hopes that Anna would lead him to Dean and Sam - allowing Michael to meet Dean and Sam face to face.
- 5.03 Free To Be You And Me - Castiel summons Raphael using the Enochian Water Cup Ritual
- 5.10 Abandon All Hope - Crowley's house is protected from angels by Enochian symbols.
- 5.14 My Bloody Valentine - Sigils on the hearts of victims indicate that Cupid had touched the people.
- 5.16 Dark Side Of The Moon - In Heaven Ash has rigged a PC to monitor Angels as they speak Enochian, by using string theory. Ash also says he understands Enochian.
- 5.17 99 Problems - As a ruse to fool the townspeople, the Whore Of Babylon disguised as Leah, a preachers daughter, has enlisted demons to make pretend attacks on the town. It teaches the townspeople an Enochian exorcism, but Castiel reveals that it actually means "you breed with the mouth of a goat"
- 5.18 Point Of No Return - Castiel burns Enochian runes into Adam Milligan's ribs to hide him from the angels who resurrected him. Zachariah uses an Enochian incantation to summon Michael to Earth.
- 5.22 Swan Song - Dean uses an Enochian incantation to open Lucifer's Cage.
- See also Angel Banishing Sigil